Three Smiths Falls residents are facing charges following an incident on Sept. 12 that led to a foot chase in a wooded area of Montague Township involving the OPP’s Canine Unit, among others.
The Lanark, Leeds and Grenville Community Street Crime Unit (CSCU) with the assistance of the Provincial Repeat Offender Parole Enforcement unit (ROPE), Lanark County Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Smiths Falls Police Service, OPP Emergency Response Team (ERT) and Canine Unit participated in the investigation.
On Tuesday, Sept. 12, at approximately 1:30 p.m. a traffic stop was conducted on Blinkhorn Lane in Montague Township. One of the three occupants of the vehicle fled on foot into a wooded area and was later located and arrested by ERT and Canine officers. The two female occupants were arrested without incident and a firearm was seized from the vehicle.
None of the below charges have been proven in court.
Chase Lehaise, 30 years old, of the Town of Smiths Falls, is charged with the following offences as a result of this incident:
- Possession of Schedule I substance for the purpose of trafficking – cocaine
- Possession of Schedule I substance for the purpose of trafficking – other drugs
- Possession of a firearm, prohibited or restricted weapon obtained by crime
- Occupant of motor vehicle knowing there was firearm
- Knowledge of unauthorized possession of firearm
- Unauthorized possession of prohibited or restricted firearm
- Carry concealed prohibited device or ammunition
- Possession of weapon for a dangerous purpose
- Carry firearm, weapon, prohibited device or ammunition in a careless manner
- Fail to comply with probation order – two counts
- Mischief under $5000
- Possession of proceeds of property obtained by crime under $5000
- Assault a peace officer – two counts
- Failure to comply with release order – other than to attend court – five counts
Samantha Findley, 38 years old, of the Town of Smiths Falls, is charged with Obstruct peace officer and fail to comply with probation order.
Krinda Anderson, 32 years old, of the Town of Smiths Falls, is charged with possession of a schedule I substance.
Chase Lehaise was wanted by Smiths Falls Police for Intimidation, 2 counts of Breach of his Release Order and being Unlawfully At Large after he was released from a Provincial Institution to serve an intermittent sentence in the community, with an ankle monitoring bracelet that he subsequently removed.
Smiths Falls Police Service urges anyone with further information regarding this incident, or similar incidents, to contact our service at 613-283-0357. Information may be provided anonymously by calling Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).